NYSE Euronext said average daily volume in dervivatives contracts were down 6.2% worldwide in December 2010, compared to the prior year.
The drop to 6.7 million contracts traded per day "was driven primarily by a 17.7% decrease in European derivatives, partially offset by an 8.7% increase in U.S. equity options,'' the exchange operator said.
Volume of trading in European stocks increased 12.9%. Trading in U.S. stocks dropped 13.5%, compared to December 2009.
- Derivatives: The 6.7 million contracts a day in December decreased 19.1% from November 2010 levels.
- European fixed income product: Average daily volume in December 2010 of 1.5 million contracts decreased 19.1% compared to December 2009 and decreased 26.6% from November 2010.
- Equities: Average daily volume of 1.8 million contracts in December 2010 decreased 17.8% compared to December 2009 and decreased 23.2% from November 2010.
- Commodities: Average daily volume of 64,000 contracts in December 2010 increased 41.4% compared to December 2009.
- U.S. equity options: Average daily volume on NYSE Arca and NYSE Amex of 3.4 million contracts in December 2010 increased 8.7% compared to December 2009 levels, but decreased 13.0 perent from November 2010.
- European stocks: Average daily volume of 1.2 million transactions in December 2010 increased 12.9% compared to December 2009, but decreased 20.3% from November 2010.
- U.S. stocks: Average daily volume of 2.0 billion shares in December 2010 decreased 13.5% compared to December 2009 and decreased 14.2% compared to November 2010.
NYSE Euronext’s Tape A matched market share in December 2010 was 35.0%, down from 36.5% in December 2009 and down from 36.1% in November 2010.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All On Wall Street content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access